You are here
Nordicom is a non-profit organisation that deals with collecting and communicating media and communication research and facts. Our employees are located in all the Nordic countries and our head office is located in Gothenburg, Sweden.
The purpose of our work is to develop knowledge about the role of media in society. We do this, for example, by collecting material and documents for different types of organisations to make decisions on media matters, as well as communicating facts and knowledge to researchers and students:
- Nordicom follows media development in terms of media structure, media ownership, media economy and media use. You’ll find our statistics here.
- Annually, Nordicom measures the reach of various media in Sweden through the survey the Media Barometer.
- We publish research literature, an international research journal and a popular science journal that illustrates Nordic media conditions. In the latter, representatives from the fields of research, politics and the media industry are found side by side. Everything is published both as printed publications and online with open access.
- Nordicom publishes newsletters on media relations in the Nordic region and policy issues in Europe. Sign up for a free subscription here.
- Children, youth and media is an area devoted special attention. In this area, Nordicom collaborates with, for example, the Nordic Media Authorities.
- We continuously compile information on how media research in the Nordic countries is developing. This includes, for example, research grants, doctoral dissertations and new publications concerning the media. The compilations are published annually, as pdf-files, for each country in the Nordic region.
- Every two years, Nordicom participates in the arrangement of the international research conference NordMedia.
Nordicom is financed by the Nordic Council of Ministers, The Swedish Ministry of Culture and the University of Gothenburg, and was founded in the 1970’s.