European Media Policy – the August issue
Welcome to a new issue of our European Media Policy newsletter. The newsletter provides an update on policy developments at the European level, concentrating on news from the European Union.
Some of the contents in this year's second issue:
- Now the ”techlash” has spread to the United States. Many policymakers want to reign in the power of the tech giants.
- There was a great deal of disinformation activity by Russian and other sources during the EU elections. Internet copmpanies should do more to prevent it, says the EU Commission. The era of self-regulation may well soon be over.
- Digital platforms have long been protected from liability for the content users post on their networks. Maybe not for much longer.
- The controversial EU copyright directive has now been adopted. But the fight over these rules may not be over yet.
- There is concern about growing ”digital gaps” between rich and poor. The more technology develops the greater these gaps seem to get.
The European Media Policy newsletter is a part of Nordicom's Media Trends service (Mediefakta).