European Media Policy 2/2020 – welcome to a new issue!
Welcome to a new issue of our European Media Policy newsletter.
Some of the contents in this year's second issue:
- EU drums up support for the media sector reeling from the impact of the pandemic.
- Media freedom seems to be one of the many victims of the Coronavirus. The EU Parliament and Commission vow to keep an eye on it.
- Social media companies should do more to stop the wave of false, misleading and sometimes life-threatening misinformation about COVID-19, says the EU Commission. But is self-regulation enough to tackle disinformation?
- Many of the hot topics in today’s digital policy discussions will be covered by the upcoming landmark Digital Services Act package (DSA). Massive lobbying to be expected.
- Media literacy has never been as important as in today’s world, says the EU Council.
- When plans to launch contact-tracing apps to help combat COVID-19 were announced many journalists and other groups were appalled.
European Media Policy is a newsletter published by Nordicom and edited by Anna Celsing. Published three times a year, it focuses specifically on developments in media policy at the European level, such as new proposals for legislation, debates in the European Parliament, recently taken or impending policy decisions, EU studies in the field, and so forth. Subscribe here.