Call for abstracts - NordMedia 2017
NordMedia invites you to submit abstracts and panel session proposals for the NordMedia 2017 conference that will be held on August 17 - 19, 2017 in Tampere, Finland. NordMedia is a biannual conference organized by Nordic media research associations in cooperation with Nordic Information Centre for Media and Communication Research NORDICOM.
The theme for the 2017 conference is Mediated Realities – Global Challenges. The conference takes a critical approach to the mediated realities of contemporary social and cultural institutions, identities and everyday life and sheds light on the debates over mediation and mediatization in relation to global challenges. Read more about the conference theme from our website.
Call for abstracts: January 9 - February 17
Notification of acceptance: By the end of March
Early Bird registration: April 5 - May 15
Deadline for full papers: June 30
Conference Divisions & Temporary Working Groups
All submissions must be addressed to a specific conference division or temporary working group. Complete descriptions of the divisions and the working groups can be found on the conference website.
1 Environment, Science and Risk Communication
3 Media and Communication History
4 Media, Globalization and Social Change
5 Media Literacy and Media Education
6 Media Management, Economics and Policy
7 Organization, Communication and Society
8 Political Communication
9 Theory, Philosophy and Ethics of Communication
10 Television and Film Studies
Temporary Working Groups
1 Media & Religion
2 Digital Games & Playful Media
3 Gender and the Media
4 Media and Celebrity Culture
5 Onlife: Digital Media Sociology in a Digital Cross-Platform World
6 Media Across the Life Course
7 Visual Communication & Culture
8 Audience Studies
All abstracts must be addressed to a specific conference division or temporary working group.
All abstracts submitted to NordMedia 2017 conference must contain the following elements:
* theoretical framework of the study
* the methodology used to conduct the study 3) Description of the research material
* the key findings of the study (for completed projects)
* author’s contact information
The word limit for abstracts is 600 words.
Incomplete abstracts will not be reviewed. Abstracts cannot be modified once they have been submitted.
The abstracts should be written in clear and concise English.
Submission of multiple abstracts is allowed, but please note that you can only be the main author in one paper. If multiple abstract submissions from the same participant are accepted, the author must decide which one he or she will participate with. However, you can still be a co-author in other accepted papers in addition to the main one.
All abstracts must be submitted using the online system provided. To submit your abstract, please click here.
The submission deadline for abstracts is 17th of February 2017. Notification regarding acceptance or rejection of abstract will be sent to the presenting author by email by the end of March 2017.
Several thematically parallel abstracts can be combined to form a panel session proposal for NordMedia 2017 conference. The ideal number of presentations in a single panel is 3–5. All panel session proposals must contain:
- name of the contact person responsible for the panel session
- brief description of the panel theme
- list of panelists and their contact information
- the abstracts of the papers to be presented within the panel session
All panel session proposals
- must be addressed to a specific conference division or temporary working group.
- must include the name of the contact person for the panel. The contact person will act as organizer of the panel session and is responsible for communication with the chairs and co-chairs of the hosting division or temporary working group as a representative of the whole panel group.
- must be submitted using the online system provided. Please note that in addition to the panel description the proposal has to include all the abstracts intended for the panel session. To submit your panel proposal and abstracts included in the panel, please click here.
The contact person is responsible for collecting and including the abstracts to the panel session proposal. The abstracts intended for panel sessions must be devised following the general guidelines for abstracts in Nordmedia 2017conference.
By default the contact person will act as a moderator of the panel session. Alternatively an outside moderator can be used. In this case the contact information of suggested moderator should also be included in the panel proposal.
The submission deadline for panel session proposals is 17th of February 2017. Notification regarding acceptance or rejection of proposal will be sent to the contact person by email by the end of the March 2017.
For any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact
Ilmari Hiltunen, Coordinator: divisions and temporary working groups