The reseach associations exist for those who are active or interested in the field of media and communication research. Here you'll find information and links to Nordic, European and International research associations in the media and communications field. For a detailed and searchable list of Nordic research associations and networks, see NordMedia Network's listing.
The Nordic region
SMID Sammenslutningen af Medieforskere i Danmark
SMiD is the national reseach association in Denmark. SMiD intends to:
- increase the cooperation between danish reseachers in the field of media and communications,
- publish the journal MedieKultur: Journal of media and communication research,
- contribute to the debate on medias function in politics, art, culture, business and education,
- take care of the interest of research, nationally and internationally.
Mevi ry (formerly TOY ry) in Finland works to support research on media and communication by making the field known, both in the scientific community and beyond. The association has about 300 members, most of them in Finland. Important issues in the field of media and communications are discussed in the association’s journal Media & viestintä (formerly Tiedotustutkimus) and in conferences and seminars organized by the association.
NML was founded in 1977 as a professional forum for media researchers in Norway. NML intends to:
- Publish Norsk medietidsskrift
- Every two years organize a professional conference in connection with the general assembly
- Collaborate with the sister organisations in the Nordic countries about, among other things, the Nordic conference for mass communication research every other year.
FSMK is a multidisciplinary forum where researchers in different disciplines can meet and exchange information and experiences. An overall goal for FSMK's activities is to promote better conditions and increased resources for research in the field of media and communication, as well as strengthening education in the subject area.
ECREA is the learned society for communication scholars across Europe and beyond. Individuals, institutions and associations have chosen to become members of ECREA to join a large community devoted to the development and the quality of communication research and higher education in Europe.
Read more and sign up to the mailing list here: http://www.ecrea.eu
IAMCR is the preeminent worldwide professional organisation in the field of media and communication research. IAMCR aims to support and develop media and communication research throughout the world. It particularly encourages the participation of emerging scholars, women and those from economically disadvantaged regions.
ICA is an academic association for scholars interested in the study, teaching, and application of all aspects of human and mediated communication. ICA began more than 50 years ago as a small association of U.S. researchers and is now an international association with more than 4,500 members in 80 countries.